There are numerous walks in the area catering to a range of ages and abilities.
Two popular tracks in Otira are Mt Barron (track starts from rear of Backpackers) and Carroll Hut which begins at Kelly's Creek. The Otira river is easily accessible and a beautiful forest is at your back door. There are lakes and rivers nearby for fishing and 4WD trips by arrangement.
A popular short walk in Arthur's Pass Village is Devils Punchbowl Falls.
For further information on walking tracks please click here.
Weather in the mountains can change quickly, when going for a walk always go prepared for all weathers and tell someone where you are going.
- Rata Festival in Otira early Febuary (to be confirmed).
- Transport available by arrangement to and from tracks.
- Close to the Te Araroa walking trail.
- Otira Stagecoach Hotel (500m from hostel).
- Wobbley Kea (Arthur's Pass Village).